Missing, Damaged or Found Markers

Man repairing signThis program has been set up exclusively for receiving reports of missing or damaged signs and buoys (markers).

Please direct requests for marker permits or marker information to FWC’s Boating and Waterways section at 850-488-5600 or email waterway.management@MyFWC.com.

If you want information on manatee zones or obtaining informational signs please call the FWC's Imperiled Species Management section at 850-922-4330 or go to MyFWC.com and click on "Manatee" Not a Mobile-Enabled Link.

Program Summary

The FWC operates an on-call response program to coordinate the timely examination, evaluation and appropriate repair of marker assets that represent a potential hazard to navigation. This type of response system provides an efficient notification process for directing personnel to evaluate issues and take appropriate action. In some cases, this may involve passing on reports of non-FWC-related waterway problems to another responsible entity such as the United States Coast Guard.


866-405-BUOY (2869)

Submit a report electronically.

Falling waterways signInformation to have when calling/emailing:

  • Location of missing, damaged or found marker (GPS coordinates, waterbody name, nearby landmarks, county, nearest city or town, etc.).
  • Brief description of the problem
  • Your name and contact information

When a damaged sign or buoy is reported by telephone to 866-405-BUOY or by email:

  1. FWC will assess the problem. 
  2. FWC will identify/mark it, if it presents a potential hazard to navigation.
  3. FWC will notify the owner.
  4. FWC will work to fix the problem if the marker is managed by FWC.

For more information about this program, please contact:

FWC, Boating and Waterways Section
Division of Law Enforcement
620 South Meridian Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600

Sign falling sideways Sinking sign

FWC Facts:
The largest lake in Florida is Lake Okeechobee.

Learn More at AskFWC