With respect to Florida's native birdlife,
and in concert with other local, regional, national, and
international efforts, the Goals of the Florida Bird Conservation
Initiative are to:
- Promote the conservation and restoration of bird populations
and habitats deemed to be most vulnerable or in need of
- Ensure the continued sustainability of bird populations and
habitats that are presently secure.
- Improve coordination and cooperation among all stakeholders to
more effectively align and leverage resources in support of mutual
priorities and objectives.
- Increase awareness and support among the public and
conservation community regarding issues, challenges and
opportunities related to the conservation of birds.
In support of stated Goals, the Objectives
of the Florida Bird Conservation Initiative are to:
- Develop and foster collaborative projects among individuals and
entities having complementary or shared conservation interests and
- Develop and employ a strategic framework for defining and
systematically addressing critical bird conservation activities,
emphasizing habitat conservation as a key factor in restoring and
maintaining bird populations.
- Define realistic population and/or habitat objectives (amounts,
configurations, and conditions) meant to ensure population
sustainability and ecosystem integrity.
- Identify and promote research, monitoring and evaluation needs
that address the most critical assumptions and information gaps
pertaining to FBCI's and partners' conservation decisions.
- Improve the targeting and effectiveness of public and private
habitat conservation efforts in support of bird population and
- Facilitate partner and public engagement in public policy
decisions having significant relevance to bird and habitat
- Objectively assess the conservation vulnerability and
socio-economic importance of native Florida bird species and
identify species and habitat priorities accordingly.
- Promote interest and enthusiasm for birds and bird conservation
through appropriate education and outreach tools, and by promoting
ecotourism and other commerce reliant on sustainable natural
To accomplish stated Objectives, the
Florida Bird Conservation Initiative will employ the following
- Characterize past, current, and future states of land use and
habitat availability as it relates to bird population
- In conjunction with other landscape based conservation efforts
adjoining Florida (e.g., East Gulf Coastal Plain Joint Venture,
South Atlantic Migratory Bird Conservation Initiative, etc),
utilize GIS-based decision tools to recommend and direct habitat
- Assemble relevant data and expertise to assess the potential
implications of pending policy decisions.
- Consolidate the positions of FBCI partners on various issues
and advocate or otherwise seek support for the enactment of
policies informed by FBCI's recommendations.
- Improve coordination and integration among existing monitoring
programs in providing data to address priority information gaps and
to evaluate progress in achieving stated objectives.
- Identify needs for building capacity of existing monitoring
programs and/or developing new monitoring efforts.
- Compile and evaluate existing conservation assessment protocols
and corresponding data for Florida birds.
- Develop and maintain a web presence that serves to articulate
the mission, goals and objectives of FBCI; links potential partners
to each other and to essential conservation information; and
encourages public awareness regarding pressing bird conservation