Spend a family fun weekend learning to fish at the Joe Budd Youth Conservation Center!
All participants will receive a rod and reel, a tackle box full of tackle and all the instruction necessary to go fishing! Our goal is to have participants leave camp equipped to be successful anglers.
Saturday May 3rd and Sunday May 4th
8:00 am – 5:00 pm each day
$120.00 per adult/child group
$50.00 each additional participant
Children must be graduates of 1st grade or older to attend.
Contact Doug Engel for more information (850) 933-4322.
Saturday - Fishing
- Introduction to Camp, staff, and weekend activities
- Tackle - tackle box inventory, types of tackle, how to select tackle for specific species of fish, maintenance of tackle, rod & reel assembly
- Knots - types of knots, knot tying
- Casting - how to cast several types of reels, casting with backyard bass
- Fish Facts - fish identification, distinguishing characteristics, habitats, feeding preferences, bag limits
- Bait - types of live bait, how to catch bait (cast net, dip net), artificial bait
- Fishing - how to fish (species specific), catch and release techniques, fish stringers and cooler use, hands-on fishing
Sunday - Boating and Fishing
- Cast nets - techniques and practice sessions
- Fish cleaning - scaling, skinning, filleting
- Bank fishing
- Boating safety - Presentation of boating and water safety, review boating safety workbook
- Boats - intro to different types of fishing crafts, oaring, trolling motor operation, battery care and safety, navigation
- Practice boating - oaring and trolling motor operation
- Boat fishing and bank fishing
- Fish preparation and cooking - fish fry for all