The Northeast Region Volunteer Program currently includes many different conservation-based projects to preserve native species and habitats in Marion, Lake, Orange, Osceola, Seminole, Brevard, Volusia, Flagler, Putnam, and St. Johns counties. Volunteers who are passionate about conservation can play an active role in fish and wildlife conservation by getting involved in one of many up-and-coming volunteer projects in the northeast region.
- Bear Aware Canvassing - Human-bear conflicts are increasing as development continues to expand into bear habitat. The key to reducing the number of conflicts lies in educating Florida's residents on living in bear country. Volunteers can help by visiting neighborhoods where bears have been reported and educate homeowners about living with black bears.
- Ocala National Forest Scrub-Jay Monitoring - Volunteers interested in Florida Scrub-Jay monitoring can help with a groundbreaking survey in the Ocala National Forest scrub habitat.
- JayWatch-FWC is partnering with The Nature Conservancy and Archbold Biological Station to continue monitoring Florida Scrub-Jays around the state. There are surveying sites all around the state where volunteers can monitor Scrub-Jay populations and contribute to this valuable citizen science project.
- Snail Kite Stewardship - Volunteers can help protect the endangered Everglade Snail Kite on Lake Tohopekaliga by promoting safe boating practices around nesting birds and assisting with the construction of feeding platforms.
- Freshwater Fisheries Monitoring - Volunteers can help monitor fish populations by participating in fisheries management or assist with Fishing derby events to help teach children about fishing.
- Wood Stork Monitoring - Volunteers can help monitor nesting colonies of wood storks at different locations around the region.
- And…additional opportunities soon to come!
How to sign up
For more information on volunteer opportunities in the Northeast Region or to sign up as a volunteer, E-mail the program coordinator or call (352) 732-1225.