Information for New Applicants - New
A statewide alligator hunt permit is a type of limited entry permit that is required in order to participate in the Statewide Alligator Harvest Program. Click "Application Worksheet" at the bottom of this page for specific Harvest Units and dates.
Each year, alligator management units are established with appropriate harvest quotas to provide recreational opportunities for Floridians and non-residents to take up to 2 alligators per permit. Applicants who are awarded a permit must submit payment for two CITES tags and an Alligator Trapping License, or provide proof of possession of an Alligator Trapping License valid through the end of the alligator harvest season. A Florida hunting license is not required to participate in the statewide alligator hunt.
- Cost (All Sales are Final, No Refunds):
- There is no cost to apply
- $272 for Resident Alligator Trapping License (includes 2 CITES tags),
- $1,022 for Non-Resident Alligator Trapping License (includes 2 CITES tags),
- $62 for 2 CITES tags only (must have Alligator Trapping License that is valid through 11/01/2014)
- Requirements: You must be 18 years old by Aug. 15 to apply.
- Issuance Method:Statewide Alligator Harvest Program permits are issued by random drawing during Phase I and Phase II. Once the drawing is conducted, successful applicants must purchase their permits by the specified deadline. Permits not purchased by the deadline (See Application Dates & Deadlines below) In Phase I will be available in Phase II. Permits not purchased by the deadline in Phase II will be issued on a first come first served basis during Phase III. Phase II is open only to customers who do not already have a permit from Phase I. Phase III is open for everyone, including those who already have permits from Phase I or II. You may obtain additional tags for hunts that have not filled during Phase III.
- Exemptions: You must have an Alligator Trapping License or an Alligator Trapping Agents License to participate in these hunts. Non-participating passengers in a boat with alligator trappers are not required to be licensed.
- Restrictions: You may submit one Statewide Alligator Hunt application and receive up to one permit in Phase I or Phase II. You can only apply in Phase II if you have not already been awarded a Statewide Alligator hunt permit during Phase I. You may receive multiple permits in Phase III. Successful applicants in Phase I must purchase their permit by the deadline or it will be forfeited and reissued in Phase II and III. No person who has been convicted of any violation of s. 379.409 or s. 379.3015 or the rules of the commission relating to the illegal taking of crocodilian species shall be eligible for issuance of a license for a period of 5 years subsequent to such conviction. In the event such violation involves the unauthorized taking of an endangered crocodilian species, no license shall be issued for 10 years subsequent to the conviction. Any false statement will render the permit void, and will subject the applicant to prosecution under applicable law. At the end of the hunting season, unused tags must be returned and/or alligator harvest reports must be submitted. Failure to comply, may result in exclusion from participation in the statewide alligator program for a period of one year.
- Groups: Group applications are not allowed for this permit type. Each permit allows the permit holder to have an unlimited number of alligator trapping agents and alligator trapping license holders assist in the attempt to take.
- Preference Points: There are no preference points for this permit type.
- Transferability: Statewide Alligator Hunt permits are NOT transferable.
- Guest Permits: A Statewide Alligator Hunt permit holder may have as many assistants as you like, however, the permit holder must be present on the hunt and each assistant must either hold a valid Alligator Trapping License (for any harvest unit) or Alligator Trapping Agent License. Agents can purchase an Alligator Trapping Agent license for $52 anywhere licenses are sold. Non-participating passengers in a boat with alligator trappers are not required to be licensed.
- Drawing Results: Drawing results are typically posted within about one week after the end of the application period. If you are successful in a drawing and you have provided a valid, non-blocked, email address, you will notified by email.
- Reprints: These permits can only be replaced by the FWC Office of Licensing and Permitting upon written request by the permit holder. You will need to allow at least 10 days to receive the replacement permit and tags. Receipts, temporary license numbers and printed copies of Internet pages may not be used as a Statewide Alligator Hunt permit.
- How to Apply: You can apply online (sign on and choose “Apply for Limited Entry/Quota Permit”) or complete the Application Worksheet (click "Application Worksheet" at bottom of page) and present it to any license agent or tax collector office. Residents who do not hold a Florida drivers license or Florida ID cannot use the online system to apply as a resident. If you want to apply as a resident and do not have a Florida driver license or Florida ID, you must apply at a license agent or tax collector and show another proof of residency. Your residency status is established at the time of application and that residency status will be used throughout the issuance process.
- How to Get Your Permit: If successful in the Phase I or Phase II random drawings, you can pay your permit fee online, at a license agent, or tax collector office. Your Alligator Trapping License and tags will be mailed to you. Permits issued in Phase I not purchased by the deadline (see Application Dates & Deadlines below) will be forfeited and offered for sale in Phases II. Permits issued in Phase II not purchased by the deadline will be forfeited and offered for sale in Phase III. Please allow several weeks to receive your permit and tags in the mail. If you choose to pay for your permit online, be sure you have access to a printer and to disable your browser’s pop-up blocker, so that you can print or save your receipt directly from the website.
Application Dates & Worksheet