Nuisance Wildlife Permits

Nuisance wildlife is wildlife that...

  • causes (or is about to cause) property damage,
  • presents a threat to public safety, or
  • causes an annoyance within, under or upon a building.

Before removing an animal, please visit our Wildlife Assistance website for help in understanding the laws protecting wildlife and your options for resolving the problem. 

Trapper list and registration

Permit requirements

Venomous Reptiles

Anyone transporting or possessing live venomous reptiles is required to have a captive wildlife permit.

Conditional Reptiles

Anyone transporting or possessing live conditional reptiles is required to have a python removal permit.


A permit from FWC is required for take of any state listed species or any bird species protected by the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA)External Website

Gun/Light at Night Permit

This permit authorizes a landowner or their designee to take depredating wildlife (beaver, bobcat, fox, possum, rabbit, raccoon, otter, skunk or nutria) at night with a gun and light. The permit is not required to take wild hog, coyote, armadillo, black or Norway rat, and house mouse, with a gun and light during non-daylight hours. Under special restrictions, authorizes harassment (scaring) deer causing damage to crops with a gun and light at night.

Depredating Deer Permit

This permit authorizes the killing of deer that are causing damage to crops where less lethal means of control are either ineffective or not feasible. First time applicants requesting a Deer Depredation Permit or if you have any questions concerning this permit, contact your local FWC regional office.

Depredating Bear Permit

Bear Depredation Permits authorize the lethal take of black bears that are causing property damage where less-lethal means to control the damage are either ineffective or not feasible and FWC is unable to capture and remove the bear. 

Steel Trap Permit

This permit authorizes the holder to use padded jaw steel traps for the purpose of taking destructive coyotes, fox, bobcats, beaver, and otter.

Protected Wildlife and Bird Permits

Protected fish and wildlife include those species listed as endangered, threatened or species of special concern.  Also included are migratory birds External Website and other species protected by FWC rules.  FWC rules prohibit activities that may have a negative effect on protected fish and wildlife without a permit.

Mallard Control Permit

This permit authorizes a person in possession of a copy of the Federal permit to lethally control and trap feral mallards from May 1 through August 31 annually and to destroy nests and eggs of feral mallards year-round. This is not a hunting license.

Canada Goose Depredation Permit

This permit authorizes landowners (and their employees and agents) to take birds and nests to reduce depredation to commercial agricultural operations. It is the permit holder's responsibility to understand and adhere to all provisions set forth in the permit.

Wild Hog Trappers

Hunting and trapping wild hogs is a useful tool to control feral populations on private and state lands.  Nuisance wildlife trappers that want to shoot or trap feral swine on private lands do not need FWC authorization. Permission of the landowner is all that is required. A permit is not required to take wild hog with a gun and light during non-daylight hours.

The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (DOACS) regulates intrastate movement of live feral hogs External Website and requires individuals trapping feral swine in Florida to register with DOACS as a Feral Swine Dealer (FSD).

Nuisance Wildlife Trappers - Businesses

The FWC does not license nuisance wildlife trappers. Nuisance wildlife trappers may voluntarily register to have their name and contact information added to the Wildlife Trapper List. Persons contacting FWC looking for help with nuisance wildlife removal are directed to the wildlife trapper list.



FWC Facts:
You must be at least 18 years of age to rent a personal watercraft in Florida.

Learn More at AskFWC