‘Operation Gun It’ catches 6 convicted felons
Friday, November 30, 2012
Media contact: Karen Parker, 386-758-0525
A multi-agency operation at Camp Blanding Wildlife Management Area netted six arrests of convicted felons hunting with firearms.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) investigators and officers, along with the Clay County Sheriff’s Office and federal partners, worked together on “Operation Gun It.”
The operation targeted convicted felons hunting with firearms. Possession of a firearm by a convicted felon is a second-degree felony.
The people arrested were:
- Claude Ware (DOB 04/08/79), Tampa;
- Stephen Dennis (DOB 01/25/84), Hampton;
- Edward McCormick (DOB 01/05/74), Jacksonville;
- Royce Smallwood (DOB 02/07/50), Orange Park;
- Marvin Dunlap (DOB 12/13/58), Middleburg;
- Douglas Thaxton (DOB 01/01/69), Middleburg.
Felons are not allowed to possess modern firearms but may hunt with archery equipment or traditional muzzleloaders, according to FWC officials.