Have fun helping wildlife, wild places when holiday shopping
Tuesday, November 24, 2015
Media contact: Diane Hirth, 850-410-5291; Carli Segelson, 772-215-9459
Video available on MyFWC YouTube:
Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zxFi0GrU48
It’s fun and easy to help Florida fish and wildlife, and the wild places where they live, when you shop this holiday season. There are gifts to show off your support of wildlife. Other gifts will help you carry on the tradition of spending time with family and friends on Florida’s beautiful beaches, waterways and wildlife conservation areas.
Check out our shopping list, because the holidays are almost here!
- Florida wildlife T-shirts, sweatshirts, hats, art or other gifts are available at WildlifeFlorida.com. Strut apparel featuring your favorite species!
- Help conserve the Everglades by getting gear like the T-shirt that shows support for the 2016 Python Challenge™.
- A Florida fishing license or hunting license can be purchased online at GoOutdoorsFlorida.com, by calling 888-347-4356 or in stores. There are licenses for residents and visitors, including a Youth Gold Sportsman’s License good until a child turns 17 that locks in the price and gives a young person bragging rights as a card-carrying sportsman.
- A Lifetime Sportsman’s License for Florida residents covers hunting, and freshwater and saltwater fishing. Get the lifetime license online, call 888-347-4356 or from county tax collectors’ offices.
- If there’s a hunter in your life who uses a tree stand or other elevated stand, give the gift of safety. Put a big red bow on a full-body fall arrest harness system to protect somebody from a fall. Learn about tree stand safety and more by taking a Florida hunter safety course.
- For the bird watcher or bird watcher-to-be, check out binoculars, Florida birding guides, T-shirts and the patch which promotes native birds and the Great Florida Birding and Wildlife Trail.
- If you give or get a kayak, canoe or paddle board, make it look extra cool with colorful FWC manatee decals and sea turtle decals. The decals also look great on bikes, back packs, guitar cases or computers. Available for a $5 donation at county tax collectors’ offices, with more options to order at MyFWC.com/Manatee or MyFWC.com/SeaTurtle.
- Vehicle license plates supporting Florida wildlife and habitats, including “Protect the Panther,” “Conserve Wildlife,” “Helping Sea Turtles Survive,” “Save the Manatee,” “Go Fishing,” and “IHUNT.” Available at county tax collectors’ offices, or go to BuyaPlate.com.
- Buy “Planting a Refuge for Wildlife,” the beautifully illustrated booklet that helps people entice butterflies, hummingbirds and other animals into their backyards.
- A personal floatation device, also known as a life jacket, can give someone you care about a safe boating experience. A newer model, such as an inflatable belt pack or suspender-style life jacket, could replace an older, bulkier life jacket.
- Registration of a family member or friend with TrophyCatchFlorida.com, along with the gift of a scale to weigh fish, makes him or her eligible for a drawing for a bass boat. And any time the angler takes a photo of an 8-pound or larger bass and submits it according to TrophyCatch rules, the reward will be at least $100 in gift cards, club shirts, decals and certificates.
What you spend on most of these gifts will contribute to the research, conservation, management and educational efforts that support Florida fish and wildlife as well as the wild places where they live, including Wildlife Management Areas throughout the state. The WMAs are great places to visit for wildlife viewing and other recreational activities, including fishing, hunting and hiking, during the holidays and all year round.