Internship FAQs

Do you have questions about FWRI's internship program? Find the answers here.

Can I intern if I'm not a U.S. Citizen?
Yes, federal immigration law requires non-citizens possess an appropriate visa in order to provide volunteer services or goods in the United States of America. Non-citizens should consult with their country’s consulate, US Bureau of Citizenship Immigration Services, or other appropriate authorities to determine suitable visas or documentation for providing volunteer goods or services in the State of Florida.

Who can serve as an FWRI intern?
College students and postgraduates are eligible.

Do interns get paid?
No, these positions are unpaid positions.

Is housing available?
Interns are responsible for housing and transportation.

When are internships available?
We offer internships during fall, spring, and summer semesters.

What will I be working on?
The FWRI Principal Investigator will assign you tasks that may consist of an individual research project or may involve assistance with ongoing research. In either case, at the end of your internship, you will be expected to present a short (10-15 minute) seminar describing your activities.

Am I graded?
The Principal Investigator will complete an evaluation form and provide it to your sponsoring professor.

Do I have to write a paper?
Not necessarily, although that is at the discretion of your FWRI Principal Investigator.

What is a sponsoring professor?
If you are enrolled in a degree-seeking program you are required to be sponsored by an appropriate administrator (professor, teacher, intern program administrator) at your home institution. That person will sign your paperwork and will receive a summary of your accomplishments.

Where can I find more information about internships?
For more information visit our Internships and Volunteers section.

FWC Facts:
Bass have been known to eat snook, and snook occasionally eat bass.

Learn More at AskFWC