Kemp's ridley after ingesting a balloon

20020611_145654_26915.jpg

Kemp's ridley after ingesting a balloon

Plastics and other marine pollution cause injury and death to many sea turtles. Many turtles mistake this floating trash for food and attempt to ingest it. Pictured here is a juvenile kemp's ridley turtle that attempted to ingest a balloon along with several yards of nylon ribbon. The ribbon and balloon were removed and the turtle was able to be released.


Image Credit: Mote Marine Laboratory



FWC Facts:
Gar and bowfin, or mudfish, have specially adapted swim bladders that allow them to gulp air at the surface when oxygen levels are low.

Learn More at AskFWC