Wildlife Through the Year: August
- Alligators hatch out from mid-August to
- Yellow warbler migration begins.
- Short-tailed shrews are beginning a second round of breeding
for the year.
- Shorebirds and blue-winged teal arrive to winter on Florida
wetlands and lakes.
- Wild hog breeding season begins.
- Deer are breeding in southern Florida.
- Corals along the coast spawn in conjunction with the full
- Bass foraging in shallows in late evenings, early morning and
- Young sea turtles are still hatching so watch
where you're walking on the beach.
- Indigo snakes and other snake eggs
- Gopher tortoises are hatching.
- Lights Out! Sea turtles emerge from their nests and
head for the ocean. Females may become confused by lights on the
- Loggerhead and green sea turtles continue to nest;
leatherbacks depart for their oceanic foraging grounds.