WMA/WEA and Other Closures
- Tenoroc Fish Management Area - Repairs to the outflow structure from Shop Lake is scheduled the week of April 17. These repairs require the road leading to Shop Lake and the lake itself be closed to public use Monday, April 17 and Friday, April 21. Repairs should be completed and the road and lake reopened on April 22.
- Everglades WMA and Francis S. Taylor WMA - Due to low water levels associated with abnormally dry conditions the following special regulations are in effect: Motorized vehicles, off-highway vehicles, swamp buggies, tracked vehicles and airboats are prohibited in Water Conservation Area 3A North. Canals and associated boat ramps remain open to public access for fishing.
If you have additional questions, contact the FWC’s South Regional Office at 561-625-5122.
- Choctawhatchee River WMA, Holmes Creek Unit - The Cotton Landing Recreation Area (including the canoe/kayak hand-launch ramp) will be closed for approximately 9 months for construction and restoration projects designed to improve the area. Cotton Landing is located northeast of Vernon along Holmes Creek. Vehicles will not be able to access Cotton Landing Road and the immediate area around the construction site at Cotton Landing on Holmes Creek will be closed to the public. The remainder of the WMA north of Highway 277 will remain open to pedestrian access for hunting and other allowable recreational activities.
- Dog Road 21 within Econfina Creek WMA is temporarily closed due to flooding. Authorized access will be reinstated when flooding subsides.
- UPDATED 1/19/17 Big Bend Wildlife Management Area - Hickory Mound Unit: All roads are open, except for the portions of Cow Creek Grade and Coker Road lying south of Swartz Tram (effectively closes Hickory Mound Impoundment to vehicular traffic. Foot, bicycle, and non-motorized access is allowed.) The public should exercise caution when walking through the woods while hunting, wildlife viewing, etc. in the storm damaged areas as there are a large number of downed trees, leaning trees, and trees with limbs or trunks broken up high that are hanging.
- Picayune Strand - Due to current conditions, Triple G Loop Road is closed until further notice.
- CREW WEA - Due to a restoration project, the following temporary closures are in effect: All hunting and other public access is prohibited on all portions of Flint Pen Strand and Bird Rookery Swamp Units south of Sand Road, west of the western North/South Tram Road, and north of Bonita Beach Road. Additionally, access is prohibited in the portion of Flint Pen Strand Unit located at the northeast intersection of Sand Road and Poorman’s Pass Road, extending north 900 yards and east to County Line Road.
- Emeralda Marsh PSGHA - Area 3 will be closed to all public access until further notice due to construction projects on area dikes and related improvements to the area. Under the provisions of 68A-15.004(9) (a) F.A.C., this area will remain closed to public access until the improvements are completed.
View map illustrating the closure.