- Ocala WMA, South Moon Fish Camp Check Station (Located in Astor, FL) - This game check station will be closed until further notice due to flooding.
Caravelle Ranch Wildlife Management Area - A portion of Rice Field Road, all of West T Road, and Sweetwater Grade west of Uncle Bud's Grade are closed. Rice Field Road will reopen after the flooded portion has dried and been cleared. Sweetwater and West T will reopen upon completion of culvert repairs.
- Everglades Wildlife Management Area - Due to recent storm events, the FWC has temporarily closed several activities and roads in the Everglades Wildlife Management Area until further notice. Fishing and other specified activities will remain open.
Public access to the interior of the WMA is prohibited, except Conservation Area 2A from the L-35B levee north to the east-west airboat trail, and Conservation Area 3A South, east of the Miami Canal between I-75 and the L-67A levee. The closure applies to vehicles, airboats, all-terrain vehicles and any other public access, and will remain in effect until further notice to ensure public safety and resource conservation.
These closures do not apply to persons permitted to participate in the statewide alligator hunts, migratory bird hunts, frogging, fishing, or people operating boats within the established canal systems. Access for these activities is limited to vessels only, and participants must maintain a minimum distance of 100 yards from any tree island to minimize disturbance to wildlife. Usage of airboats or tracked vehicles is not permitted for these activities.
Additionally, taking of game, as defined in section 68A-1.004, Florida Administrative Code, is prohibited, except certain duck, coot and snipe hunting, and frogging. Those activities may be conducted in accordance with 68A-13.003, 68A-13.008 and 68A-15.004, respectively.
If you have additional questions, contact the FWC’s South Regional Office at 561-625-5122.
- Big Bend Wildlife Management Area - Hickory Mound Unit: All roads are open, except for the portions of Cow Creek Grade and Coker Rd. lying south of Swartz Tram (effectively closes Hickory Mound Impoundment), Jeep Tram, and Lee Tram. Spring Creek Unit: all roads are open, except for the portion of Henderson Rd. between Spring Creek Rd. and Swamp Spur Rd. Tide Swamp Unit: All roads are open, except for Hagen’s Cove Rd (effectively closes Hagen’s Cove Recreational Area). The public should exercise caution when walking through the woods while hunting, wildlife viewing, etc. in the storm damaged areas as there are a large number of downed trees, leaning trees, and trees with limbs or trunks broke up high that are hanging.
- Picayune Strand - Due to current conditions, Triple G Loop Road is closed until further notice.
- Lake George WMA - Attention Archery Season Hunters - The St. Johns Water Management District has announced that the Heart Island Conservation Area and the Lake George Conservation Area of the Lake George WMA (areas east of Highway 17) will have contractors working with heavy equipment to rehabilitate firelines from the recent wildlifes during the archery season. If you hunt these areas during the archery season, you could encounter disturbance and traffic associated with this work. The attached maps illustrate the areas where work activities will be taking place: Heart Island map 1, Heart Island map 2, Lake George map 1, Lake George map 2.
- Everglades and Francis S. Taylor, Holey Land and Rotenberger WMAs - The taking of deer is prohibited for the 2016-17 Archery, Muzzleloading Gun, and General Gun – Walk seasons; and the General Gun-Vehicle/Airboat seasons are canceled. South Florida experienced an unusual and extended high water event this past dry season, which severely impacted these three WMAs. This action is being undertaken to ensure continued deer hunting opportunities in the future. All applicants for the track vehicle and airboat permits will have their previous preference point status restored. Under these special regulations, these areas will remain open to public access and recreation. Please contact FWC’s South Regional Office at 561-625-5122 if you have any questions. Thank you for your understanding of this situation and support of FWC.
- CREW WEA - Due to a restoration project, the following temporary closures are in effect: All hunting and other public access is prohibited on all portions of Flint Pen Strand and Bird Rookery Swamp Units south of Sand Road, west of the western North/South Tram Road, and north of Bonita Beach Road. Additionally, access is prohibited in the portion of Flint Pen Strand Unit located at the northeast intersection of Sand Road and Poorman’s Pass Road, extending north 900 yards and east to County Line Road.
- Emeralda Marsh PSGHA - Area 3 will be closed to all public access during the entire 2016-17 waterfowl hunting season due to construction projects on area dikes and related improvements to the area. Effective immediately, under the provisions of 68A-15.004(9) (a) F.A.C., this area will remain closed to public access until the improvements are completed.
View Map illustrating the closure.