No Daily-Use Permit currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
Royce Unit has three picnic tables. The Lake Placid Scrub tract, Carter Creek tract and Royce Unit have parking areas with walk-through gates.
Map of Royce Unit of Lake Wales Ridge WEA
The area is open to public access year round. During non-hunting periods public access other than by foot, bicycle or horseback is prohibited, except that motorized vehicles are allowed on Royce Road year round and on all named one day before all hunts except small game. During hunting periods all persons shall enter and exit the area at a designated entrance.
Hunting Regulations, Map and Hunt Calendar
Vehicle use regulations for Royce Unit.
- Vehicles may be operated only on named roads.
- Vehicles must be parked in designated parking areas or within 25 feet of a named road.
- Parked vehicles may not obstruct a road, gate or firelane.
- No motor vehicle shall be operated on any part of any wildlife management area that has been designated as closed to vehicular traffic.
- The use of airboats, tracked vehicles, all-terrain vehicles or unlicensed and unregistered motorcycles is prohibited.
- Horses are prohibed during periods open for hunting.
- Horses and bicycles may be ridden only on firelanes or named roads.
Rules Regarding Dogs
- For purposes other than hunting, dogs are allowed, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited.
- Hunting dogs may be taken onto the WEA after 8 a.m. the day before the opening of a season and shall be removed by 6 p.m. one day after the end of the season. Hunting deer or wild hog with dogs is prohibited. Hunting with dogs is prohibited, except bird dogs or retrievers are allowed during the small game season. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited. Dogs on leashes may be used for trailing wounded game.
Highlands and Polk counties.
To reach the Royce Unit take US 27 to the town of Lake Placid. Turn east onto CR 621 (first light if coming from the south, second light if coming from the north). Take CR 621 approximately 1.5 miles to Hallmark Ave. Turn left onto Hallmark and drive approximately 5 miles. The road changes name to Ponce de Leon for about 1 block and than to Royce Ranch Ave. The Royce Unit is located on the left hand side of the road (west) and the entrance is marked. Address: 1630 Royce Ranch Ave. The road ends with Henderson's Fish Camp.
To reach Lake Placid Scrub Unit:
From the intersection of US 27 and SR 70 go west on SR 70. Drive 3 miles to Placidview Drive and turn right. The parking area for the trailhead is located 1 mile on the right.
View a Lake Placid Scrub tract location map.
View a Royce Unit location map.
View a Carter Creek tract location map.
Additional wildlife viewing sites in the vicinity.
Archbold Biological Station, Highlands Hammock State Park, Saddle Blanket Lakes State Preserve, Catfish Creek, The Nature Conservancy's Tiger Creek Preserve, Lake Wales Ridge State Forest. Lake Arbuckle State Reserve, and the Avon Park Bombing Range
Avon Park is located 18 miles northwest of Royce Unit, Sebring is located 8 miles northwest of the Royce Unit, and Lake Placid is located 6 miles southwest of the Royce Unit. The nearest town to the Lake Placid Scrub tract is Lake Placid - located 5 miles to the north. The Carter Creek tract is located 3 miles north-northeast of Sebring.