No Daily-Use Permit currently required. To hunt or fish you must possess the appropriate license and permit.
The main trailhead and the entrance to the area are at the corner of Arch Road and Paces Landing Road. Just west of the trailhead is the hunter check station. There is a vaulted toilet located west of the parking area adjacent to the hunter check station.
Map of Salt Lake WMA
The area is open to public access year round, but only from 1 1/2 hours before sunrise until 1 1/2 hours after sunset.
Hunting Regulations, Map and Hunt Calendar
Vehicle use regulations
- Vehicle access is prohibited except during archery, muzzleloading gun, general gun, wild hog-dog and spring turkey seasons and one day prior to each of these seasons. Vehicle access is also allowed during small game season. At all other times, public access other than by foot (pedestrian), horseback (equestrian) or bicycle is prohibited.
- Horses and bicycles may be used only on named or numbered roads or trails.
- Horses are prohibited during archery, muzzleloading gun, general gun, small game, wild hog-dog and spring turkey seasons.
- Vehicles may be operated only on named or numbered roads and must be parked at designated parking areas or within 25 feet of a named or numbered road.
- Parked vehicles may not obstruct a road, gate or firelane.
- Airboats, tracked vehicles, all-terrain vehicles and unlicensed and unregistered motorcycles are prohibited.
- No motor vehicle shall be operated on any part of any wildlife management area that has been designated as closed to vehicular traffic.
Rules Regarding Dogs
- For purposes other than hunting, dogs are allowed, but must be kept under physical restraint at all times. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited.
- Hunting dogs may be taken onto the WMA after 8 a.m. the day before the opening of a season and shall be removed by 6 p.m. one day after the end of the season. Hunting with dogs is prohibited, except dogs may be used during the wild hog-dog season and bird dogs may be used during the small game season. Dogs are prohibited in areas posted as "Closed to Public Access" by FWC administrative action. No person shall allow any dog to pursue or molest any wildlife during any period in which the taking of wildlife by the use of dogs is prohibited. Dogs on leashes may be used for trailing wounded game. Hunting with more than 3 free-running dogs per hunting group is prohibited.
Directions to Salt Lake WMA:
Exit I-95 at S.R. 46 (exit 223) and go west on S.R. 46. Go approximately 0.5 mile west of S.R. 46 and turn left (south) onto Turpentine Road. Turn right onto Lion Lane which curves left and becomes Tomato Farm Road. Then turn right onto Panther Lane which curves to the left and becomes Arch Road. Arch Road ends at the WMA entrance.
Additional wildlife viewing sites in the vicinity.
Buck Lake Conservation Area, Fox Lake Park, Seminole Ranch Conservation Area, Tosohatchee State Preserve, St. Johns National Wildlife Refuge, Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge.
Mims (4 miles), Titusville (5 miles).