Nassau Grouper: Epinephelus striatus
- Color light background with brown or red-brown bars on sides
- Stripe in shape of tuning fork on forehead
- Third spine of dorsal is longer than second
- Pelvic fins are shorter than pectoral
- Black dots located around the eyes
- Large black saddle on caudal peduncle
This grouper's range is limited to south Florida. Nassau grouper are somewhat site specific. Smaller individuals are found nearshore while adults are often found offhsore on rocky reefs.
Nassau grouper form large spawning aggregations, making this species highly vulnerable to overharvest.
9 lb, caught near Marathon Key (2007)
Fishing Tips and Facts:
All harvest of this species is prohibited.
Image Credit: © Diane Rome Peebles